Sunday, 5 September 2010

Viva Italia!

We got up at 5 AM to skype Sharon and Gus's kids before we left for Venice. The morning of the 3rd, they had sat in the lobby of the hostel and skyped, but they got complaints. They were too noisy. They tried the computer down in the kitchen area, but couldn't get reception. So they went outside, and I joined them. It was so fun to be able to see and talk to the kids! We tried to hold the noise down, but at one point, a woman called down from an upstairs window, "Pardón? Quiet please." We were outside, I thought she could have closed her window.
It was a long drive from Zollikofen to Venice! Made even longer with construction delays. I think we were on the road for about 9 hours! Danny and Dalena zonked out and I took this picture as we were going through a tunnel.
While we were inching along the Autobahn, waiting for a construction delay, a small white truck pulled up along side our van and a young guy rolled down his window. I rolled mine down too, and he handed me this little bell. He said, "A bell, for you, from Switzerland." I thanked him, "Danke schön," and he and his friend drove off, taking the next exit.
One of our first glimpses of Italy - so different from Switzerland - beautiful, but different.
An Italian hillside
We stayed at a Best Western Hotel in San Dona - about 30 minutes outside of Venice. Very nice digs!After we checked into our hotel, we walked down the street to find a place to eat. The place recommended to us was way busy, so we found a good pizzeria and ate there. On the way, Dad got out of the wheelchair and Dalena jumped in. :o)Sunday morning, we went to church in San Dona. When one of the leaders realized we were from the States, he passed out headphones and receivers to all of us. One of the missionaries translated for us. It was their fast and testimony meeting. Almost every member who bore their testimony that day mentioned the temple, and family history. It sounded a lot like home! I always love going to church while we're on vacation, and attending in a foreign country is always a treat! It solidifies my testimony that the gospel of Jesus Christ is the same, no matter where in the world we are!

After church, we had a lady from the branch take our picture. Several members stayed and talked to us in the parking lot. We told them we were going to Venice and one woman said, "If you don't do anything else, make sure you go to the Regata." She said that gondolas from all over the region were in Venice that day for a parade and race. It only happens once a year - on the first Sunday of September. The women also gave us suggestions of where to eat when we were there. All their suggestions were greatly appreciated!
We parked our van and jumped aboard a shuttle boat, which took us right over the the heart of the city of Venice. Please take note of Gus' do! He slicked his hair back so he would look "Italian."
Dalena took my camera and snapped a picture of the two mamas.
We passed a police boat as while we were on the shuttle.
People were starting to gather for the Regata. I loved these people's dress. They looked like some kind of royalty to me.
We followed precise directions from the church lady, and found a great restaurant. Everyone loved the spaghetti and lasagna.
Lisa loved the help!
We ate a lot o' gelato while we were in Venice!
Dad loved Venice! He tooled all around St. Mark's Square, by himself, taking pictures.
So many people!Old, old buildings - everything was so beautiful! So much romance and history!The two symbols of Venice were the mask and the gondola. Jack was buying neither here. We found a possible mate for our neighbor's little wooden "boob doll." I only met her at our ward dinner, but I think this guy might be Mr. Right.
The streets were so crowded, that it was impossible to get good shots of the gondola parade. So, Danny took Lisa's camera and hopped up on a trash receptacle for a better view. He got quite a few good shots before a police officer came along and politely asked him to get down.
I must say that I was extremely jealous of these people. What a great view of the parade!Some of the beautiful gondolas that were in the parade. All of the gondoliers were in costumes - fabulous costumes!
Here's a cool shot of Lisa by an old door. Doesn't she look tall?
Beautiful shot of Danny and Dalena by one of the canalsHere's a classic shot of Danny and Dalena that I stole from her photo album. I'm sure Lisa took this one.
Here's a beautiful shot of Danny and Dalena on the gondola ride. Isn't it beautiful?Here's one of Sharon and Gus too. So romantic!Lisa and her grandpa. Ahhhh.When we returned for the night, Sharon's feet were tired and dirty - so she washed them in the little basin provided at the hotel. ;o)

No comments: