Saturday, 4 September 2010

A day in Bern

We spent the rest of the "wedding day" in Old Bern. It was lovely! Lots of good food. Lots of people, but no hurry and scurry like we saw in London. It was just very pleasant.
There were lots of restaurants with outdoor seating. It was a very relaxed atmosphere - totally pedestrian friendly. People crossed the side-streets anywhere, and cars waited for them - no problem!
I saw this cute Swiss guy on the street and told Sharon I wish I could get a picture of him. Of course, she walked right over to him and his wife and asked them. Wish I had her guts!
Imagine a checkers game - right in the middle of a city! How fun is that?
We went to the bear pits for a while. Lots of visitors there.
Another thing I thought was way cool! There was a makeshift stadium set up, right in the middle of the city and a volleyball tournament was going on. Admission was free. I loved Bern!
Dad, and a couple of our guys, ducked behind this screen by the side of a building in Bern. It was basically a few urinals up against a building, kept out of view by a screen. The Pissoir. Aptly named.
When Magdalena saw this statue, she knew immediately what it was! Her husband had told her about a lot of things in the city of Bern, including the statue of The Baby Eater. He told her that mothers used to threaten their children, "If you don't mind me, I'll call the Baby Eater." That's pretty dark!
We saw this cute green train poking through the middle of the city. I grabbed my camera to get a picture - and had to get another one when we saw this car. No idea what Extrafahrt might mean!
Dalena wanted to eat al fresco, so we waited about 45 minutes for a table - but it was worth it!
Dancin' in the street - what a nice way to end a day of celebration!

No comments: