We ate at a place in the market. It is like big food court, kind of. Besides freshly prepared food, you can buy fresh poultry, fish, meat, vegetables, feed for your pets or farm animals, and a lot of other stuff. Jack and I ordered gorditas and they were very tasty.
After breakfast, we walked over to the plaza. There is always music of some kind there, so Danny and Dalena decided to do a little dancing in the daylight.
From the plaza, we walked down past Dalena's father's old hardware store. She says it is pretty much just like it used to be when he owned it, right down to the rubber cover on the counter-top.
Back at the house, Dalena started assembling Mary Kay for her cousins. I think a cousin in the states sells Mary Kay and had a lot of extra samples that she sent down with Dalena. So, she assembled cute little packs of makeup and wrapped them in nylon netting and tied them with pink bows. They looked very festive! I think she passed them out at the wedding the next night.
We drove over to the beach in the afternoon. Here's a shot of Jack, relaxing in the shade on the beach.
Sipping from a coconut
A couple of guys were serenading everyone in this pavilion. When they finished singing, they walked around and collected donations.
Here's a cute shot of Danny and Dalena at the beach.
Jack said, "What? You think I can't suck it up?" haha Well, almost!
Jack waded out into the water to get a shot of the beach. It was really beautiful and relaxing. I loved the feel of the ocean air!
Early evening, we went down to the church for a missionary fireside. Magdalena took us into the chapel and told us how her husband (Dalena's dad) chose the site for the chapel a few years before he died. He and some other church leaders there petitioned Salt Lake City for a chapel in San Blas. Dalena's dad surveyed the city and picked out a spot that he thought would be perfect for a chapel. But, the petition was denied. Two or three years after he died, Magdalena's sister called her from San Blas. She said, "You'll never guess! We're getting a chapel in San Blas!" When Magdalena asked where it was going to be built, her sister told her that it was going to be in the exact spot her husband had chosen. Needless to say, she was overcome with that news.
This is one of two floral arrangements that Magdalena made for the chapel. If you look closely, you can see the flowers are made of plastic coke bottles. After the fireside, we drove over to a neighboring city that was having a festival.
I was a carnival atmosphere. Games were set up all along the streets and there was dancing at the plaza. Lots of people and loud music! Fun times!
David wanted to go over to the festival because they were going to have fireworks and he wanted us to see a fireworks tower. Unfortunately, we got there just as the fireworks ended. I've heard from students that these towers are very popular in Mexico - they knew exactly what it was when they saw this picture, even though it was the tail end of the display.
Danny and Dalena started dancing at the festival - there was loud Latin music playing - and someone came around and asked them if they had paid. I think everyone who danced had to pitch in - maybe for the band. If you didn't have a receipt - you didn't get to dance! These Mexicans really know how to party! We left to go home around 11 PM, but I'm sure they were there half the night. That's how they roll!
David wanted to go over to the festival because they were going to have fireworks and he wanted us to see a fireworks tower. Unfortunately, we got there just as the fireworks ended. I've heard from students that these towers are very popular in Mexico - they knew exactly what it was when they saw this picture, even though it was the tail end of the display.
Danny and Dalena started dancing at the festival - there was loud Latin music playing - and someone came around and asked them if they had paid. I think everyone who danced had to pitch in - maybe for the band. If you didn't have a receipt - you didn't get to dance! These Mexicans really know how to party! We left to go home around 11 PM, but I'm sure they were there half the night. That's how they roll!
No comments:
Post a Comment