skip to main |
skip to sidebar
St. George on Conference Weekend
When we heard that Joann and Justin were going to go to St. George over Conference Weekend, we decided that we'd go down too. We wanted to see Aida at Tuacahn! We put out a call for grandkids who wanted to go down with us and we had four takers - Lex, London, Kate and Baylee. We had a great weekend - made even greater because Danny and Dalena drove up from Mesa to spend Saturday and Sunday with us.
As soon as we got into St. George, we went straight to the temple so the girls could do some baptisms. Jack was able to baptize and confirm them, and he assisted in some additional confirmations (in Spanish even) while the girls were waiting their turns in the font.
This is the Barbers' back yard. The fence goes around the swimming pool and on the other side of the fence is the mountain! The older girls climbed up to Lizzard Head, clear at the top! Can you see it?
Some of the kids swam in the backyard pool between conference sessions. Aren't these cousins so cute? I don't know where Alexis was - probably napping in the house.
While the older kids swam and climbed on rocks, Bo and Alli had fun making mud pies in the front yard. I love how little kids can just squat and play with no effort at all. (They can even get up with no problem!)
We jokingly called the Barbers' home, "Barbers' Bed and Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner." Phil and Sally were up north, taking care of Grandpa Winegar, who had just had surgery. It was so nice of them to let us use their home for the weekend! They have this huge family table in their dining area - plenty of room for everyone!
On Friday night we took all the kids to Tuacahn to see Annie. After the show, we met the cast. The big girls had their picture taken with Annie - who was probably just about their age. They talked to her about her summer and her schedule during the play. She was very personable!
Marianne was game to have her picture taken with Miss Hannigan. Allison would go nowhere near her! She was scared to death of her and took every precaution to stay out of her way!
Joann had to have her picture taken with Miss Hannigan too. She said, "I AM Miss Hannigan in real life!"
I put this picture of the plug in on this post, only to recall a most hilarious story that happened on this trip. As you can see from the picture below, all of our group sat together for Aida, except Jack and me. We were in the center section, by ourselves and they were in the side section. Shortly after I sat down, I was very aware of someone wearing very, very strong perfume or cologne. It was just overwhelming! It was making me cough, and I was fanning myself with my program so I could get some fresh air. Nothing was working! I mentioned to Jack how rude I thought it was for anyone to wear that strong a fragrance in the public place! During intermission, we went over and visited with the rest of our group. I told them about the scent too. I could even smell it over there! After the play had ended, we walked to the van and were all piling in. I could still smell the heavy fragrance! I said, jokingly, "I can't believe I can still smell that perfume! Wouldn't it be funny if it was me?" Well, it turned out that it WAS! I could smell it on the right sleeve of the sweater I had on. The sleeve on the arm I was using to fan myself during the play! When we got back to the Barbers', I found out what had happened. I had draped my sweater over a chair in the downstairs bedroom. In the wall, right next to the chair, was a Glade Plug-in!
Danny and Dalena drove up from Mesa, just in time to go to Tuacahn's production of Aida with us. It was so good!
Tia came up to watch conference with us. She lives with the Barbers, and is finishing her mission in St. George at the visitors' center.
Dalena got a relaxing neck massage while she and Danny watched conference. It's a wonder it didn't put her to sleep!
All the kids were playing conference bingo. I don't think Bo was listening to conference. I think he was thinking, "When do I get to eat these M&Ms?"
No comments:
Post a Comment